Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Bride Turns Two

I first met Sybil Montas through my friend and office-mate at Philip Johnson’s office, David Mouzon. David and I quickly discovered that we had more in common than our ex-modeling careers and a strange fascination for true crime books – there’s a reason our co-workers remember us laughing so hard throughout each day they could hear us across the office. In usual office comportment, I’d heard about David’s long-time love Sybil perhaps a good year before I met her, but knew through our phone conversations that she was a friendly, kind, lady-like young woman who had been volunteering with Huntington’s patients while applying to medical school. And, as if Sybil already sounds too good to be true, she’s also stunningly beautiful.

And so, when I found out that Sybil and David had set a date for May 12th, 2007 to marry in Montauk, I offered to do the makeup, and what ensued was a wedding I’d never forget, for its vivacity, beauty, and personal touches, leaving me grateful for being so close to such a big, wonderful day.

For me, the day started out early, just as the sun was starting to warm the spring sea air. Several weeks before Sybil and I had met to determine the perfect makeup palette, and to discuss the schedule. It’s always helpful when the bride and the makeup artist have the same opinion – and fashion sense! I believe that makeup should enhance a woman’s natural beauty, and in keeping with that theory, I opted to let Sybil’s illuminating skin shine through with a sheer foundation, and a light layer of shimmer on her cheeks.

I wanted Sybil’s eyes to take subtle focus, and so I traced the whole eye with a light silver highlighter and accented with shimmering shadows. And so, with a look that was as classic as her white rose and hydrangea bouquet, Sybil walked down the isle a picture of pure elegance.





Sybil’s entire flock of bridesmaids (5 in total) was just one more beauty after another. What’s more, they all embodied Sybil’s ever-graceful, genuinely lovely disposition. Beauties like these also require a light hand in the makeup department. Here they are, from left, Andrea, Angela, Maid of Honor Jessica, Shannon, and Vanessa.


In honor of her anniversary, I asked Sybil to reflect on a few of the more personal points of her wedding.

1. What were the special touches that you felt made your day personal?
Firstly, the location. We decided to get married in Montauk which is a special place for both of us. We both have childhood memories of vacationing with our families there. The reception took place at a resort where my parents have a timeshare, so I went there every summer as a child and it's a very nostalgic place for me. I would see weddings there and imagine that one day maybe I would get married there, but I never really thought it would happen. So it really meant a lot to me that we were able to get married there. We also did a lot of things to make our guests happy. We had welcome gift bags at the hotels which included snacks, a letter from us, maps and travel brochures. Little touches like the bubbles, rose petals and bells we gave out for when we exited the church as man and wife.... I wore a bracelet of my mom's as my "something borrowed". We also had some special parts of the ceremony, for example we had the priest bless a cross that we now have in our bedroom at home. It's a nice reminder of our wedding day.


2. Oh, wow -- I JUST remembered that you wore one of my handmade pendants pinned inside your dress!!! Would you be willing to comment on why that image was special???
Maxfield Parrish is one of David's favorite, favorite artists. The pendant was sentimental to him, so I decided to where it as my "something blue". The imagery is nostalgic and whimsical yet realistic at the same time, if that makes any sense...now that I think about it, it parallels the wedding day itself. It's surreal when you're experiencing it, yet it's very real and represents a very real commitment to a future together.


3. What would you consider to have been the most beautiful aspect/aspects of your wedding?
I think the general atmosphere of the entire weekend. The weather was picture perfect and the backdrop of the ocean/ crashing waves made it very relaxing and peaceful. The cocktail hour was outside on a deck overlooking the ocean, and I remember walking in and seeing members of both of our families socializing in this beautiful (and nostalgic) setting. Aesthetically, I loved how my bridesmaid's looked in their pale blue dresses and bright yellow roses and hydrangeas. The colors to me complemented the natural colors of the ocean, the sky and the sun.

4. Where did you get your dress?
I got my dress at a bridal store on Long Island. It was the first dress I tried on. I tried on several dresses after that, but I found myself comparing every dress to that one.

5. What were the surprises that made it better than you could have ever expected?
Well, one surprise to me was how I felt walking down that aisle. It was this strange mix of anxiety, happiness, and feeling overwhelmed by all the loving/supportive faces in the church, the realization that, "Oh my God, this is it!" It was the time during the wedding that I was closest to tears. The big hug that my dad gave me before he handed me over to David was so filled with love, it was an amazing feeling. Seeing how incredibly happy everyone was for us was really nice. Maybe not a total surprise, but it made the day all the more meaningful. David and I always say it was the best weekend ever!

Indeed it was!!! And so…Happy Anniversary Sybil & David! What a delight it was remembering that beautiful day. I’ll think of you celebrating in Montauk, by the sound of the lulling waves!


No comments:

Post a Comment