Sunday, March 29, 2009

My Own Private Walden (Part 1)

When I was a little girl, about 9 or so, my teachers piled me and my classmates into a rented yellow school bus and shuttled us off to Walden Pond. What they assumed to be a life altering experience turned out to be a faded memory of boys teasing girls, grotesquely muddy shoes, and a stagnant small body of water which served as the catalyst for punishment, when bored little boys began throwing things in it.

What I remember most vividly was reading the book with such strain and anguish, being consistently reminded by our teacher how lucky we were to live in the same state as this historic cabin, noting time and time again that Thoreau was an “important man” and we’d appreciate this experience later in life.

Needless to say, the true meaning of Thoreau’s naturalist excursion into a simplistic existance of solitude, silence, and the importance of self-reliance were completely lost on a bunch of snot-nosed pre-pubescent punks – including myself.

It wasn’t until 2008 when I picked up the book again did I finally absorb its true meaning, and recognize the importance of taking that time to preserve the part of us we can’t see – our soul. Living in New York City, you become so completely detached from nature a trip to Central Park feels like a country outing (if you can secure the correct permits, mind you!), and the seasons only serve as a pesky intrusion mother nature forces on all of us, trying to thwart our immediate agenda.

Flash forward nearly three decades from my first Walden encounter, when I’m on a flight to Cleveland (yes, Cleveland!) in search of my own private Walden.

When one says the word “Walden” the first thing to come to mind is definitely not hot tubs and two-hour massages, but for me, that’s the impression it leaves now. Spa Walden, located in Aurora, Ohio, is essentially, heaven on earth.

I was greeted not with the challenge of building my own one-room shack by hand, but rather with mimosas, served with a smile. I was further greeted with fresh fruit in the room, jazz, and a glowing fireplace.


Now, you’re saying to yourself, I know it’s called Walden, but is there really a valid comparison here? Yes, I say! A recent study by the Wisconsin Medical Journal reveals that women who go on frequent vacations are all the better for it, happier with themselves and in their relationships. Talk about self-preservation!

In these tough times you may not, admittedly, have the cash flow for a spa. But of all the places I’ve been all over the world, Walden is a true diamond in the Midwestern rough. This is not Cleveland like you think of Cleveland. And you get more bang for your buck here than you could ever imagine. The hotel—gorgeously recently renovated, with a stunning and roomy bathtub for two featured in the center!—screams equal parts quality and romance. How many times have you walked away saying to yourself, “That was a lot of money, but I guess it was worth it…” Instead here you walk away saying, “I definitely didn’t pay enough for what I got! Shhhhh! Don’t tell anyone!!!”




I was very lucky to have secured a session with Wellness Coach Barrie Rosencrans, who, for the first time, told me that I could eat more!

Sound too good to be true – check it out and see. I dare you to commit to a full weekend of relaxation, strolls in an enchanted forest, horseback riding, couple’s baths, hour-and-a-half facials, and just loving life. In these troubled times, you can’t afford not to!

No comments:

Post a Comment