Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Who Do YOU Love?

Some time ago, after a rather inspiring and expensive personal feng shui consultancy, I purchased an overly life-sized portrait of Audrey Hepburn. The iconic print was a result of a self-perceived permission granted by my consultant, who instructed me to acquire inspiring images and place them, as per the cosmos, strategically around my apartment. I realize now that channeling Breakfast At Tiffany’s was never part of any particular apartment-cleansing plan, but rather an excellent excuse to cover one entire office wall with one of the most charming New York City movie images of all time.

When I moved last summer, I wrestled with the heartbreak of having to put some of my most treasured possessions in storage. My beautiful little chalet was big on coziness, but not so for wall space, and the country ambiance simply didn’t call for Audrey’s distinctly metropolitan pose, regardless how picturesque. She joined pleasant company in storage, including Fellini’s La Dolce Vita, a ‘50’s Vogue print, and an original John and Yoko Rolling Stone cover -- you know the one, where they’re embraced in a pose so perfect and powerful that it speaks love throughout the ages.
For years I’ve had a fascination with icons, so much so that without realizing it, I’d tear and clip every interesting face and pose I could find, wondering how and when a savior by the name of decoupage would come and preserve my pics for posterity.

One day I had the idea to put all of these amazing mugs into pendants. The result was a museum of phenomenal faces throughout history. From Marie Antoinette to Joan of Arc; Katherine Hepburn to (you guessed it) her cousin Audrey. Sue wears Barbra Streisand, Lisa wears Jackie O, and Phyllis – Louise Brooks. These ladies were not afraid to choose favorites, and say it loud and proud!

The little portraits are perfectly content to sit in their solid metal pendants, whether they’re around your neck, or simply a trusted talisman. Who wouldn’t want Jean Harlow as their guardian angel?


My friend Nicole has an interesting combination – Bettie Page and Botticelli’s Venus. (I think they’re rather appropriately paired, don’t you?)

The biggest challenge I have is letting go of my favorites. It’s easy to see where my alliances lie.

Whether we want to admit it or not, we all need someone to love, right? Maybe we can’t wear our heart on our sleeve, but a little pendant never hurt anyone. Who do you love?

1 comment:

  1. How beautiful!! And so true. I love many of these classic beauties too, but I also love some of the ancient women in history, like Cleopatra! What fun to read. =)

    ReplyDelete