Monday, March 30, 2009

Tea for One

Tea and me have a long history. My mother is an avid tea drinker, and I suppose you could say that we lived in a tea soaked household. I can’t remember my fist cup of tea, but I can remember on very special afternoons when my mother would take little me on a trip to Boston’s Park Plaza Hotel for high tea, served in the most perfect flowered china.

When I moved to New York City some years ago, one of the first places I was taken was West Village’s Tea & Sympathy, an authentically English tea spot, where they serve afternoon high tea, complete with finger sandwiches, and scones with clotted cream, and the most delectable fruit jam I’ve ever tasted! They are, by all accounts, a tiny little joint, and I didn’t mind waiting for as long as it took to get a table, and afterward, visit the gift shop next door for PG Tips, Branson pickle, and any other English exports I’d been missing.

I’m Boston born and bred, and I often blame my Beantown heritage for my fascination with tea. There’s hardly any tea incident as infamous at the Boston Tea Party in 1773 when, three ships loaded with tea attempted to port in Boston Harbor. Refusing to pay the tax, the governor of Boston essentially told them to sit there until they were ready to make his demands. And so, on that fated December evening, King George ordered British warships to block any and all ships heading in or out of Boston, blocking the harbor until the tea was paid for. Even though Boston’s trade would be ruined, Boston still refused to pay for the tea! Legend has it that a group of colonists disguised themselves as American Indians and went aboard the ships – and threw the tea into the water. Talk about taking matters into your own hands!

Tea, in its most natural state, is such a beautiful color wheel. When I lived in Sunnyside, Queens, I used to take a trip to the tiny local Lebonese grocer for a small cup of sweet Lebonese tea – the perfect pick-me-up, and something I make at home as a special treat for guests, or just for myself.


Because I love tea so much, many generous folks over the years have given me the most remarkable tea sets and tea pots. It’s tough to choose my favorites, there are so many. (There are so many, in fact, that many of them are in storage!)

This pot was made by Tiffany’s, and though new, has a traditional feel that makes me feel proud to use it.
When I was in Chianti recently, I picked up these delightful, diminutive creamer and sugar bowl, so small they’re best for “tea for one”.


A long time ago a dear friend gave me these antique sugar bowl and creamer. The design is painted in genuine gold! (They’re beautifully paired with my Tiffany pot, don’t you think?)


I loved these tea pot and tea bag charms so much I made earring out of them!


For centuries, tea has been thought as a cure-all for illness. Everyone knows that green tea is loaded with anti-oxidents, but did you also know that black tea has healing properties, too? Tea contains polyphenols known to fight cancer.

This ginger tea recipe is the perfect remedy for an upset tummy (ginger is a fantastic digestive agent). But it’s also remarkably tasty. Give it a try:

4 1/8 slices of fresh ginger
1 small sprig of fresh rosemary or fresh mint, or 2 strips of lemon peel
½ tsp. of honey

Add to a cup of boiling water, and allow honey to dissolve. Voila! Instant goodness. You can even ice it in the summertime.

All I know for sure is that nothing beats a strong cup of tea on a cool spring morning. It’s a soothing drink which never fails to make me feel at home.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing about the tea place! Next time I am in that area, I am there. I have been on a wicked tea kick, my fave being earl grey, honey and some soymilk. The soymilk really plays up the flavor, more than mil usually does. Hopefully, Matt and I will catch you next time we're in the area! ((hugs))
    --Kay in Chicago

    ReplyDelete